Sprinkles

Saturday, December 16, 2006

"Little Women" & "What Not To Wear"

On the advice of my friend F, I watched Little Women last night... the 1949 version (not the one with Katherine Hepburn). In this film, the girls were played by Elizabeth Taylor, Margaret O'Brien, June Allyson, and Janet Leigh. Peter Lawford and (surprise!) Rossano Brazzi were also in this film.

After trying three or four times over the years to read that book, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed the movie. (And watching it on one of the cable channels, without commercials, was a big plus.) I guess I just didn't like the writing style of the book...... I can't really say, and I hate to even say that, being that it's such a beloved classic.

The movie was beautifully done, though.... gorgeous costumes, beautiful homes, and a wonderful story. Elizabeth Taylor was absolutely beautiful.... very delicate-looking in her earlier years. I've seen her in a lot of older movies throughout the years, but it's been a while since I've watched an "old movie," and I'd forgotten just how pretty she was.


I went through my closet (again) yesterday.... trying on slacks and tops and even shoes.... and filling up yet another bag to give to one of the local charities when they call for donations. I don't know how some of those clothes got in there in the first place. I swear.... I must have been shopping with my eyes closed for some of those things. Or maybe it was a sale.... with prices that were too low to resist. While I was taking things out of my closet, I kept thinking of that show on the TLC network called "What Not To Wear." I can happily say that the clothes now in the donation bag wouldn't have passed inspection by Stacy and Clinton (the "WNTW" fashion police).

Speaking of that.... while I was watching an episode of "What Not To Wear" last week, the girl on the show whose clothing was being judged had a pair of black slacks from SteinMart that are identical to ones that I had bought.... black silk slacks with tiny martini glasses embroidered on them. I had bought those in SteinMart, thinking they'd be fun to wear for one of our Charades parties. (Martini glasses, of all things--- and I don't even drink.) And there they were on the television, being held up by Stacy who was saying that the designer of those slacks "should be shot."

As I watched that show, I was hoping that my sister wasn't watching also, because I had spoken to her after that trip to SteinMart and I told her about those slacks. (She didn't approve.) Not ten minutes later, during a commerical break, my cell-phone rang and it was my sister.... laughing so hard that she could barely speak. Without waiting for her to say anything, I told her that I was watching the show, and yes, I had seen the martini-slacks, and yes, I still had them in my closet.

Maybe that's what prompted me yesterday afternoon to go through my closet..... and the martini slacks are now in the donation bag. There's a lot more room in my closet at the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home