Sprinkles

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Little elves on bicycles....

Our young friend C rode over here on her bicycle this morning, along with her best friend L. Both girls were wearing Santa hats as they rode up our driveway towards our back door. Too cute........ and they were so cold. They had sweaters and zip-up jackets on, but they still weren't dressed warm enough for this morning's cold weather.

I'm not saying that it was "freezing," since my friend F up in New York has recently reminded me that freezing means temperatures below 32 degrees. We weren't exactly below 32 degrees this morning... more like 50 degrees, which is close enough to that frigid mark, in my opinion. So let's just say that this part of Texas was sun-deprived and temperature-challenged this morning. (Translation: freezing.)

We made the girls hot chocolate when they came in...... then my husband asked them if they were hungry. Silly question--- for two petite little girls, they seem to have bottomless pits in their bodies. We had leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge (one of C's favorite foods) so my husband heated the potatoes for the girls. They were still hungry... my husband made them grilled cheese sandwiches. First one, which they split. Then another, which they also split. Then my husband made one for himself, but ended up giving that to the girls as well. One more into the pan for him, but the girls split that as well. Mind you, the bread he was using was the extra-then Pepperidge Farm slices, but still...... that's a lot of cheese and bread that's going into their size-two little bodies. Where do they put it? And how do they work all that off?

While the girls were here, I gave them the Christmas necklaces that we had bought for them at the downtown Nutcracker Market last month. The necklaces have tiny Christmas lights on them which light up-- there's a tiny watch battery at the back of the necklace. The girls thought they were very cool..... in C's words: "Sweeeeeet nugget!" (Which I guess is the latest way to say that's cool.)

I also gave the girls the invitations I made up for them, for the NYC Rockettes' Christmas Show at one of our downtown theatres. We had already spoken to their parents, but I asked them to keep the surprise till I could give the girls the invitations at the same time. Both C and L were really surprised, and they're excited to be going with us. I told the girls it would be a dress-up night.... no jeans, no sneakers, no corduroys..... either nice slacks or skirts or a dress.

Actually, I'm excited to be seeing the Radio City Rockettes' show myself...... I haven't seen that Christmas show in the longest time, and I used to love going there with my dad. And let me just stop typing right now, before I get all sappy with holiday memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home