Sprinkles

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Galveston for "Dickens On The Strand"

My husband and I drove out to Galveston today, for their annual "Dickens On The Strand" Christmas celebration. Yesterday was warmer and less windy, and I talked my husband out of going-- only because of last night's surprise birthday dinner for him. He knew we'd be going out for dinner last night, and I suggested that after walking around Galveston all afternoon and eating the different foods at the vendors' booths, neither of us would want to go out for and Italian dinner afterwards. And how could we disappoint our friends K and B?

When we got to the restaurant and my husband saw three tables of friends there last night, he was glad that we hadn't gone out to Galveston Island after all. So off we went today, just the two of us. C and her friend L had Girl Scout meetings today, so they weren't able to go, as they did last year. And it was just as well. Turns out that the Sunday "Dickens" celebration isn't as popular or as ornate as the Saturday events. Maybe it's not as popular because it's not as ornate.

There were less crowds, which made for shorter lines at the food vendors, which was a good thing. But the smaller crowd made it seem like the celebration wasn't as energy-filled as it usually is. I also thought there were fewer sales booths there this afternoon. We've always gone to "Dickens" on a Saturday in the past, and seeing what we did today, I doubt very much we'd go back on a Sunday again. The event is held for just the two days, the first weekend of December.

We walked around a couple of antique shops while waiting for the parade to begin at three o'clock. The antique shops were nice and warm, and the wind out on The Island was just awful today. Plus, if you were on the shady side of the street, you froze.... so of course we tried to stay in the sun as much as we could.

The Queen's Parade, which usually lasts nearly an hour, was over in about ten minutes this afternoon. There were no school bands, no Budweiser Clydesdales, no jugglers, no miniature ponies, no cowboys on horses.... and where was Santa today? Doesn't he work on a Sunday? Sad to say, even the parade was a disappointment.

But on the bright side.... we had a good time, as long as we were in the sun and out of the wind. I dressed up in my long black velvet skirt, high western boots, and three layers of thin sweaters underneath a pretty black and green velvet cape. I even brought black velvet gloves with me to keep my hands warm. Dressing up Victorian-style is part of the charm of the "Dickens on The Strand" celebration. There were women there with very elaborate Victorian-era gowns, complete with bustles and hoop-skirts. How do you sit down while wearing a hoop-skirt?

I'm hoping the weather starts to warm up again. Yesterday was warmer than today, so I thought today would be warmer still. The weather gods are playing with us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home