Sprinkles

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

"Scrabble"

There indeed must be some sort of "magic" at the lake.... while we were there, I beat my husband in Scrabble -- not once, but twice. Big deal, you say? Well, it is to me. I can't remember the last time I beat him in that game. Before I met my husband, I used to beat just about everyone in Scrabble. Well, that ceased to happen once my husband and I started to play that word game.

Scrabble is my favorite board game, and his as well. (Yet another reason we had to get married.) My husband, however, can come up with at least one or two (and sometimes three) seven-letter words, which gives him fifty extra points for each, in addition to the score from the word itself. Well, let the record show (as the saying goes) that I managed to beat the King of Scrabble by managing to get my own seven-letter word down on that board on Friday night.

The last time we were up at Mayberry, I also beat him in Scrabble. The score on that game was close, so I thought it was just a fluke that I won. But this last game was a sign from the Scrabble gods.... I can still win that game. Maybe the magic only happens at the lake, so we'll have to see if I can beat him when we play here. We each came into this marriage having a Scrabble game of our own, so now we have one board here, and one at Mayberry. And two Scrabble dictionaries, thanks to a trip to Wal-Mart.... when we first started playing up there, we couldn't challenge each other's words because we didn't have the dictionary, but that problem has been solved.

The look on my husband's face was just priceless during this last game of Scrabble.... not only when I got the seven-letter word, but as the game went on and my score kept getting way more than just a few points ahead of him...... I knew what he was thinking: "How can I be losing this game?"

I patted my husband's hand and told him: "Don't worry.... what happens at the lake stays at the lake." Then after the game was over, I did my best I-can't-believe-I-beat-you-at-Scrabble-dance around the kitchen table. Victory is sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home