Sprinkles

Friday, August 25, 2006

Fifty Cents

I was up early this morning, and out at the yard sales before 7:15.... I should have stayed in bed and under the covers. Not much out there this morning, although I did come home with a miniature chair (about 12" high) made out of rattan. I will put it on one of the side-tables at Mayberry, and it will just sit there and look cottage-y.

There was one yard sale this morning that gave me my story for the day.... the woman giving the sale was inside her open garage, while her stuff was sitting out on her driveway, piled up haphazardly all over the concrete... stuff that should have been boxed up for the trash, for the most part. While I was looking at everything, I heard the woman saying over the phone: "I've had a slew of people come by but I haven't sold much... they all want everything for fifty cents, I swear....."

I couldn't resist....... I picked up a basket that looked like it would be comfortable for one of the cats... a simple basket with handles that weren't perfect.... but I figured AngelBoy would curl up in there on the porch and settle in for a nap. I didn't need the basket, but it was the one thing there that I would've bought if the woman was reasonable about the price. I went over to the woman and asked her the price of the basket. She asked me what I would like to give her for it.

As I said-- I couldn't resist. "Fifty cents," is what I told her. She looked me square in the eye and asked me if I was kidding. I told her I wasn't kidding, that I just wanted to put it on my porch for my cats. She told me it was a perfectly good basket and she couldn't take less than five dollars for it. I told her that I didn't want to pay that much for a basket that would sit on my porch for my cat would take a nap in, and besides, the handles of the basket weren't all that sturdy. "Well, if I can't get five dollars for it, then I'll just keep it," is what she told me.

Keep it she did, because I left without it. I imagine that the next time she got on her phone with her friend, she was probably complaining that she didn't sell a thing all morning. Well.... no wonder.....

Tomorrow is another day.... more yard sales out there, so I will try again. One of the better ads for tomorrow says that it's a "multi-family moving sale with too many unique items to list." I hope there's truth in that advertising, because the sale starts at 7:00 tomorrow morning, and I'll be up before dawn to get ready for it.

Garage sale people know that a 7:00 starting time means to get there by 6:15....... so I'll be out of here before the sun rises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home