Sprinkles

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Weed Lady

My next-door neighbor V is calling herself "The Weed Lady" now...... and she's in shock over what our gardeners have been doing to the flowerbeds in our front yard. Usually, we can count on V to pull up any weeds that are in those flowerbeds. We think she does it out of frustration... she has weeds of her own that she can be pulling up, but somehow she gets more satisfaction out of pulling other people's weeds.

She has told us that she's familiar with her own weeds, but it's more fun to see what kind of weeds are in the yards of the neighbors. I was out walking Gracie late this afternoon, and there was V, deep into the bushes of a yard that I've never seen her in before. She told me it was my fault that she was forced to pull weeds so far away from her own street. But she also seemed pleased because that particular flowerbed had weeds she hadn't ever seen before.

The gardeners couldn't finish our front yard today because it started to rain this afternoon. They brought twenty boxwood shrubs, and a truck-load of topsoil and cypress mulch. They'll be back tomorrow, with shorter shrubs to go in front of the boxwoods, plus some flats of impatiens. I told the gardener that I could grow impatiens very well, so I guess he's not taking any chances with me and my limited gardening talents.

One of my neighbors gave me two of her gardening books to look at..... one thousand of pages of plants that grow in Texas. In my opinion, that's 999-too-many pages for me. All I need is just one page of easy-to-grow, fool-proof plants.... and I'll be set.

Hopefully, we won't have any more rain tomorrow, and the gardeners will be able to put down the rest of the topsoil, plant all the shrubs, add a little color with the impatiens, and scatter the cypress mulch. Soon after, my neighbor V will be in our front yard again, looking for weeds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home