Sprinkles

Monday, November 07, 2005

Humidity Rocks

Today was the most humid of days.... positively soupy, and positively the worst of the worst bad-hair days. I washed my hair not once, but twice today. I changed clothes three times during the day.... not because of the weather, actually, but just because nothing felt right after a few hours. And maybe that was due to the weather after all.

The sun came out for just a little while this afternoon, but didn't stay out long enough to burn away the moistness in the air. Moistness? That's an understatement. Walking outside felt like walking underwater, with clothes on.

My husband and I both went for haircuts this morning, being that we were up so early. We got there just after the shop opened and were in and out quickly. The girl that does my hair keeps telling me that my hair never looks like I've had it cut. I tell her that's the sign of a good haircut, in my opinion. I keep getting a very slight trim every three weeks, so it always looks the same. The worst thing for me would be to walk out of there with a hairstyle that's too short.... I don't deal well with a bad haircut that has to "grow back" to look good. Every time I go there for a trim, N will say to me "How many hairs do you want me to cut?"

After that, we went to Skipper's, the little Greek restaurant in Kemah. We had a late breakfast/early lunch, and then talked to the owner about having food catered for our Christmas party. There are other good Greek restaurants around, but Skipper's is by far the best.

We also drove to Wal-Mart.... while my husband looked around, I found some pretty silk autumn-colored leaves that are sprinkled with a little dusting of gold glitter. Not too much--- just enough to give the leaves a little extra glitz. I used the leaves to decorate the little tree that's on the dining room buffet.... the one with the birds and the fruits. I had used little pumpkins, spiders, bat and witches to decorate it for Halloween, and now the glitz-y leaves make it look like a Thanksgiving centerpiece. When Thanksgiving is over, I'll put some small red bows on the branches, and presto!-- it will be a Christmas tree again.

I had dinner tonight with A... we went to the Greek Deli for dinner. We haven't seen much of one another lately... she's busy, I'm busy... just seems like we're busy with different things all the time. Now she has a part-time job at the Mall, so that makes for extra-busy.

We talked about a lot of things tonight... things that should've been talked about months ago. I suggested we have a new rule--- to talk about something right away if we're bothered by it. And that has to go for everything, because neither one of us can be a mind-reader. How on earth do you know if something is bothering someone else unless they tell you?

Friendship is a funny thing. Sometimes you think you know all there is to know about a person, then you find out there's a lot more that you don't know. Friendships take work, they take time, they need attention. People change, times change, places change.... and all of those changes affect everything, I guess. So if you haven't been paying attention, all of a sudden you look up and notice that everything has changed.

So what's the best thing to do? Try to get things back the way they were? Or just start from now as if it's Day One?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home