Sprinkles

Friday, March 18, 2005

"The King and I"

We just got back a little while ago from downtown Houston.... we were at The Hobby Center Theatre, to see a performance of The King and I. Wonderful, beautiful play, starring Stefanie Powers in the role of Anna.

I don't remember the name of the actor who portrayed the King, but after seeing Yul Brenner as the King of Siam, how could anyone else possibly be King? My husband saw Yul Brenner on the stage, I saw the movie more than a few times. Each time, I watched it with my Aunt Dolly. She and I would stay up way past midnight (in the 1960s) watching what she called "the old movies, when Hollywood really made movies." I learned all the names of the stars, and I learned to appreciate the fashions and jewelry of the 1930s and 1940s.

Back to Siam.......... the sets were beautifully done tonight, very elaborate, very King-ly. The costumes were extravagant, colorful, breath-taking. All the children in the play were so cute. It truly was a magical performance.

However....... two complaints. First, at 8:00 when they dimmed the lights and we all expected the play to begin, a man in an ill-fitting gray suit walked onto the stage with a microphone. He was a representative of The Hobby Center Theatre, and he spent nearly 15 minutes telling everyone about upcoming performances. The longer he spoke, the more feet-shuffling and whispers you could hear.

When this man finally said "I'll just be a minute or two more..." --- you could hear some people applauding (my husband included). Then this gray-suited-wonder began to advertise a book that was for sale in the lobby for ten dollars. When he gave the price, a man's voice (not my husband) called out "I'll give you just five dollars for that book." Not to be out-done, Mr. Gray Suit asked the man his name and told him he could have the book for five dollars. The man called out his name, then said something else that I didn't hear, and then Mr. Gray Suit told the man he could have the book for free. "But it's only free for you........ the rest of y'all will have to pay. Ten dollars, not five."

When that little drama ended, the lights really dimmed and the play began, after a short announcement reminding everyone that the play takes place in Siam, in the 1860s, and they didn't have cell phones then, so "would everyone take a moment to shut off phones, beepers, and anything else that makes noise."

As I said...... watching "The King and I" was a beautiful, magical experience. At the end of the play, the audience stood and applauded all the performers. As Stefanie Powers took her lastbows, she suddenly broke character (while still on stage!) and, discarding the British accent of Anna, she spoke as Stefanie, asking the audience to contribute "any loose change" as they left the theatre for the AIDS Awareness Foundation. She went on and on for nearly 6 minutes, as we all just stood there with hands that wanted to applaud the performers who were slowing fading from Siamese royalty to plain old actors and actresses.

Excuse me.... I thought we had been transported by the magic of the stage... we were supposed to be in Siam, in the 1860s--- no cell phones, no beepers, and no AIDS.

Now I know that contributing to an AIDS foundation is a good thing to do...... but do we have to be reminded of reality just when we're all glowing and enjoying musical theatre?

We left the theatre not talking about the beautiful play, but wondering why Stefanie Powers broke character while on that stage, not even allowing us time to finish our applause for her fantastic performance.

Well.... it still was a beautiful, wonderful play, and I'm glad we went. In my opinion, though, Yul Brenner will forever be the King of Siam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home