Sprinkles

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Somewhere Out There is a Fence With My Name On It.

Tomorrow is Friday... and it will be the second Friday in three weeks that I will be waiting for a fence guy to come here and take down two old wrought iron fences and put up a new wood fence. Is that such a big thing to ask? And I'm willing to pay for this work, of course. You would think I want these chores done for nothing, judging by the response I'm getting from The Powers That Be in the World of The Fence.

On the first Friday that I waited, a nice guy named Pablo told me that he'd be here between 9:30 and 10:00 a.m. to take down the old and put up the new. He had been here two days before that to measure and give us an estimate. He showed up for the estimate on time, so why would I think he'd not be showing up for the actual work? By 10:30, I was on the phone with Pablo. Are you still coming here this morning? Of course, he said-- I have the material for your fence right in my truck. I will be there within the hour. Fine, said I.

At noon, I was on the phone with Pablo. Are you still coming here this morning? Of course, he said-- I'm at the entrance to your sub-division right now. Fine, said I.

At 1:00, I was on the phone with Pablo. Are you still coming here this morning? Of course, he told me-- I made a left instead of a right and I ended up outside your sub-division. Fine, said I.

At 2:00, my husband was on the phone with Pablo. He told him not to bother coming here. Are you sure, said Pablo-- I'm right outside your sub-division.

So much for Pablo. I got out the Yellow Book again. I called three more companies. Two of them wouldn't take such a 'small job,' the third didn't work with wrought iron-- not even to take it down. Back to the Yellow Book...... I finally found a company who not only would take down the wrought iron fence but would build a wooden fence and gate.

Guillermo said he'd be at my house at 5:00 pm to give me an estimate. Wonderful, said I. At 5:00, my phone rang--- he'd be at my house at 5:30, would that be okay? Fine, said I.

Promptly at 5:30, my bell rang. Guillermo. Ah... a man of his word. He looked at the wrought iron fences. He looked at the spot where I wanted the wood fence. I had an estimate in my hand. I told him I'd speak to my husband and call him that night. Which I did. I am a woman of my word.

I told Guillermo which fence we decided on. He already had the measurements. He told me he'd be here not last Friday, but this Friday, which is tomorrow. I told him over the phone to please call me if that date had to be changed for any reason. Of course, said he.

I tried to call Guillermo this afternoon, to confirm tomorrow's work. After the Pablo circus, I wasn't going to take any chances. I dialed the number and a woman answered. She didn't speak enough of my language, I didn't speak enough of hers, hence we couldn't connect. Hence, no fence tomorrow... possibly. I have no other number for Guillermo. I don't know if he will be here tomorrow. He said he would. I believed him to be a man of his word. By 10:00 tomorrow morning, we'll see just how good that word is.

This is so frustrating. We've lived here for eleven years and this is not the first time I've had this problem with workmen since moving to Texas. When I first moved here, I expected workers to show up when they said they'd show up. But I was used to the New York way--- New Yorkers know that if they don't show up on time, there will be someone there in the next heartbeat to get the job done and collect the money. Competition is the way of the world up north.

When I first moved here, I quickly learned the southern way: "If it doesn't get done today, then it will get done tomorrow. If not tomorrow, then maybe the next day. Unless, of course, it either rains or the crab-nets need to be emptied."

I tried to get used to that theory. I know there's more to life than work. All work and no play.... I know how that old saying goes. But honestly, when something needs to be done and you're waiting for workers to show up and you're more than willing to pay for their labor... don't you think some sort of time-table is in order?

All I want is a wrought iron fence taken out of my driveway so I don't have to open and close it every time I want to put my car in the garage. I also want a short wrought iron fence and gate taken away from the backyard deck... and a high wooden fence put up in its place. I need to be able to let my dog and my cats play in the backyard without giving them access to the driveway. Is that too much to ask?

Do you hear me, Guillermo? Please be a man of your word. I'll see you in the morning. (From my lips to God's ears, as my dear friend Blanche always used to say.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home