Sprinkles

Friday, September 24, 2004

Galveston Lone Star Motorcycle Rally

I forgot to mention that my husband and I drove into Galveston yesterday to see this Motorcycle Rally. Not that we ride cycles, but we do watch "Orange County Choppers" every week. Listening to Paul Sr. and Paul Jr. go at it does add a bit of brouhaha to our normally quiet house here.

We got to shake hands with Vinnie and Campo (from OCC) and we saw Cody coming out of the OCC truck. Vinnie and Campo signed an OCC poster for us, which featured their NYC Fireman's cycle and a great shot of the Manhattan skyline. We didn't wait around to see Paul Sr. & Paul Jr. and Mikey. It had to be 106 degrees out there..... I'm sure Sr. & Jr. were in their air-conditioned truck, and we heard that Mikey wasn't around.

I have to say that I felt out-of-place with all of those motorcycle people. I mean, really-- there I was in a bright white shirt from Disney World. Complete with Cinderella's castle on the front of it, sprinkled with sparkling fairy-dust that caught the sun and seemed to shout: This woman doesn't belong here. Really stood out in a sea of bluejeans and leather and fringe, let me tell you. And how they could be wearing leather in the dead-heat of a hot day in Galveston is just beyond me. Don't motorcycle people sweat? And doesn't leather get slippery when it's wet?

There were thousands of impressive cycles there. Of couse, we spent most of the time at the OCC location. And OCC was the only motorcycle group there with hundreds of people waiting to meet and greet the guys. The NYC fireman's cycle was there...... glorious. We watched them building that cycle on their show. But that didn't compare to seeing it in person. There's a small piece of the World Trade Center steel on that bike..... takes your breath away and brings tears to your eyes.

We went there hoping to see all the guys from Orange County Choppers. My husband even thought we might invite them to lunch. Not a chance. Way too busy there. We were lucky to get on the line for the meet-and-greet as early as we did because when we went back later to see if Paul Sr. or Paul Jr. was there, the line was six times as long as it was when we shook hands with Vinnie and Campo. Vinnie seemed to be impressed that my husband was wearing one of the OCC shirts from their web-site.

I think they call them bikes, not cycles. What do I know. I'm the one who was wearing the Disney World shirt with the glittering Cinderella's castle, remember?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home