Sprinkles

Monday, June 24, 2019

“The Art of Racing in the Rain”

The above titled novel by Garth Stein was recommended to me by my friend Janice shortly after the book was published in 2008. A dog-lover to the core, Janice loved all dogs, believing that there was no greater love on earth than that of a puppy you have raised. “Children grow up and they don’t really need you after a while, but a dog needs you till the day they die.”

The main character in “...Racing in The Rain” is Enzo, raised and loved by his race-car driving owner. The entire novel is told from Enzo’s point of view, and a movie is soon to be released based on this best-selling book.  Enzo believed in an ancient legend that a dog who is wise and prepared will be reincarnated as a human in his next life. So Enzo becomes wise, and prepared... and the ending is a tear-jerking surprise.

I have read that book twice, and I will read it again as soon as I finish the novel I am currently reading.  I spoke to Janice last week, and we laughed about my dog Savannah who hides under a blanket when she hears a loud noise. I sent a photo to Janice, showing the dark spot of Savannah’s nose peeking out from under her security blanket. I was going to call Janice this week, to tell her about the upcoming movie based on Stein’s extraordinary book.

Janice passed away a day ago. Alone in her apartment, sitting in her favorite reading chair. Her daughter-in-law called last night to tell me that she will be buried in Louisiana near her parents. She was a wonderfully well-read lady, classy and classic, with a southern sense of humor that could make you laugh till you cried. Janice was also a talented artist and she gifted us with a painting of this big old house shortly after we moved here.

I have no doubt that if reincarnation is indeed possible, Janice will be coming back on this Earth as a little dog because this truly gifted woman was indeed wise, and thoughtfully, prayerfully prepared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home