Sprinkles

Sunday, May 08, 2016

A note from Sweet Pea...

I was just beginning to get used to having a puppy in this house and now I can't find her anywhere even though I keep calling Savannah! Savannah! Savannah! all day long and my momma thinks I'm just meowing like I always do but it's so much more than that and momma has been sad for days and days now and that's making me sad too but there's not much I can do about it but sit on momma's lap and look cute and keep trying to make momma understand that Savannah is going to come back I just know it.

Momma doesn't know this but I was at the window when that big explosion happened last week while she and our puppy were out walking along the road but I can't tell momma that because I was up on the kitchen counter waiting for them to come walking back down the driveway even though I'm not technically allowed up on those counters but sometimes a cat just has to do what a cat has to do because we're cats and that's that and every time momma and the puppy went outside I was always watching by that window and waiting for them to come back.

When I heard that big cannon going off that night I saw a big gold and white blur just disappearing down our road and it didn't even stop at our driveway it just kept on going and before I realized that the blur was really our puppy it was gone into the dark and into the night and then the next explosion came just seconds later and the kitchen window rattled just as bad as it did with the first big boom and I knew something was very wrong but I was the only one in the house at the time so there was no one to tell and my people aren't always good at speaking cat because they don't think I have too much to say besides meow meow meow.

I kept looking out that window and then I saw my momma walking down our driveway and she was holding her arm and trying to hold her leg and there was red stuff on her face and her hands and dripping red on her white clothes and I knew right then that something awful had happened because momma would never go outside with anything dripping and then I heard momma calling Savannah! Savannah! Savannah! over and over again and she walked around the gazebo and around the cottage and all around the house and all the while there was more red stuff and more dripping and by the time momma got to the porch again she couldn't hardly get up the steps because she was crying from some places and dripping red from other places.

When momma opened up the back door I was still on the counter by the window and I started to get myself off of there real quick but momma didn't even notice where I was and she got the little phone and started punching in numbers and then she saw the red stuff on the phone and she just wiped it off on the towel that was right next to me on the counter and I thought she was going to tell me Get Down From That Counter Sweet Pea but she didn't say that at all and she took that little phone thing and went back out the door and I went back to the window and I heard momma talking to people and then calling Savannah! Savannah! again and again and again.

Next thing I knew there were people in cars and trucks all over our road and up and down our driveway and everyone was calling the puppy's name and then I really absolutely knew that the blur I had seen on the road right after the explosion was our Savannah but no one was inside the house and even if they were I don't think any of momma's friends speak cat anyway so I wouldn't have been much help especially since they all stop listening to me after I say the first meow.

It was hours and hours before everyone went home and momma came back into the house and then she looked in the mirror and saw the red stuff on her face and her hands and her arms and she said Oh My No Wonder Everyone Wanted Me To Come Inside And Wash Up and then momma got some towels and water and rubbed some of the red stuff off of her face and her hands and then she looked at me and told me that Savannah was missing missing missing because of the fireworks and where on earth could she be hiding and why were stupid people shooting off fireworks in April anyway.

Momma didn't go to sleep that night she just stayed awake with me on her lap and she kept rubbing her eyes with little white things and saying that it was all her fault all her fault all her fault and I tried to say how could it be her fault that the sky was falling and Savannah turned into a blur but sometimes momma doesn't speak cat very well and that was one of those times when her mind was more on Savannah than on me but I understood that because Savannah was lost lost lost and I was here here here.

I kept looking at the puppy's bed for a few days after all of that happened but I didn't sleep in it because momma said that Savannah was coming back and I believed that too so I stayed out of that big bed and slept in my own little bed but then after a few days that big bed just looked so sad in the corner there without our puppy in it so I decided the best thing to do was to keep it warm for Savannah and when she walked in the back door again I could point to the bed and say Taaa-daaah! There's your bed all ready for you! but that hasn't happened yet and it's been a lot of days now but I just know Savannah will be back home because there's just no other place better than our home.

My people keep going out with a big stack of pictures of Savannah and when they come back there's only a few left and you would think that someone out there somewhere must have seen our puppy because surely she must have slowed down by now and isn't just a gold and white blur running down a country road and who would want to keep our puppy anyway and even if they do they may change their minds when she barks in the middle of the night when everyone is trying to sleep and maybe momma should have put that on the paper with Savannah's picture so everyone would know that they won't be getting a lot of sleep if that puppy hears something out in their yard at two o'clock in the morning.

I've been sleeping in Savannah's bed every day now and momma doesn't tell me anymore that when Savannah comes back she's going to want her own bed all to herself and I want to tell momma that I really think Savannah won't be coming back until she knows for sure that all of those cannons won't still be going off across the road and she probably has found herself a really quiet spot now and doesn't want to leave and maybe there was even another puppy in the new place and Savannah may want to have another puppy to play with instead of just me inside and Mickey outside and who can blame her if she doesn't want Mickey because that cat kept slapping our puppy on the nose but I hope Savannah remembers that I have much better manners and even though I'm sleeping in her bed now I will get out of it real quick when Savannah comes back.

My people are missing our puppy and I am missing our puppy and I never thought I'd even want a puppy in my house but Savannah is a really good one and even though she was nervous around everybody when she first got here she wasn't that nervous with me because she knew she could trust me after I taught her how to speak cat and then she taught me how to speak puppy and then my people taught her how to love so I will keep trying to tell momma that Savannah will be back and I just know it's going to happen because I am the cat and that's that.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home