Sprinkles

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

How time does fly...

When I got my first part-time job as a stenographer/typist for a law firm, I was a 16-year-old high school senior.  As I opened the envelope containing my first paycheck, I was surprised to see that Social Security had been taken out of my pay.  I asked the lawyers about that.... they said they had to do it, even though I was part-time, and my boss added: "One day when you're over 60 you'll thank us for doing that."

At 16, Social Security and any age over 60 is at least two or three life-times away.  Isn't it?

I started working full-time at other secretarial and bookkeeping jobs, finally settling into the job of a book-lover's dream.... working in a public library.  I started out at the library as a part-timer, waiting for a full-time job to open up, which it eventually did.  Then the full-time job eventually led to a supervisory position, which I gladly applied for.... and that's the job I had when I left that library sixteen years later, moving from NY to Texas.

And with all those jobs, for all those years, Social Security was deducted from my paychecks.  And still, the age of 62 still seemed like a life-time away.

Well, pooh.  This is my 62nd year.  That life-time crept up while I wasn't looking, I guess.

I had to make the decision.... would I apply for the Social Security checks, or wait till age 65 or 70. My husband suggested that I wait till I turn 70... "We don't need the money," he said.   Then he added "Who knows... they may even run out of Social Security money by then anyway?"  (And why don't they ever run out of bail-out money for huge banks and corporations?  Or run out of money for public assistance programs?  Seems to me that the Social Security fund is always the one threatened.)

Well...... this is my 62nd year.  And doesn't age 70 seem like a life-time away?

Today, my first Social Security check was direct-deposited into my bank account.  I know that because I checked first thing this morning, to make sure.  They will continue to direct-deposit the payments each month.... I will continue to check the bank balance, to make sure.

I don't plan on spending the money. I'll just let it build up into a nice savings account.  Am I saving for a rainy day?  No.... I'm saving for another life-time, which still seems so very far away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home