Sprinkles

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Yeast happens.

There is an expiration date on a yeast package. Since when? I guess I've just never noticed that before.

Ever since our trip to Germany in May, and all the delicious homemade bread that is available there, every slice of bread here is just pathetic, in my opinion. We don't have the NY-style bakeries here, those wonderful German, Italian and Greek bake shops where everything in every showcase is perfectly delicious. All of the supermarkets here have bakeries, and the people who have always lived here think their cakes are "to die for." I just smile politely and nod my head, all the while thinking You haven't tasted anything unless you've been to a NY bakery.

So this morning, out came the bread machine, which I haven't used in a while. In went the flour, egg, butter, sugar, water, salt, powdered milk and (!!!) the yeast. Three and a half hours later, out came a flat stone that smelled sort of like bread. I cut off a little corner of the stone and told my husband it tasted like sourdough bread. "Not even close," was his opinion.

He asked me if I left out any of the ingredients. No way... I always check twice. Then he asked if any of the ingredients were "too old." Too old? The butter was fresh, as was the egg, the flour was a new bag.... I looked at the yeast package. "Best if used before February 2007." What?! Is that how long it's been since I used the bread machine?

My husband offered to run to Kroger's and buy more yeast. Well, we had already waited three and half hours for the first stone-loaf, and we hadn't planned anything today other than the errands I took care of this morning. Off to Kroger he went, while I cut some of the crust off of the stone and gave it to Gracie. (Well, the dog just loved it.)

Into the bread machine went the second set of ingredients, along with the brand new package of yeast. The second loaf of bread was high and perfectly browned, worthy to sit in any of the bakeries we had seen in Germany. I ate very little for dinner tonight, knowing that I would have a slice of that bread while it was still warm, along with a cup of tea.

So now I know what I guess all good bakers have known for years. Yeast gets old. And old yeast makes warm stones, not good bread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home