Sprinkles

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

"The Devil in The White City"

That is the title of a book I bought when we were in Chicago. Its author is Erik Larson, who has become known for historical books which read as easily as novels. His stories, however, are true--- another of his that I have read is "Isaac's Storm," an account of the hurricane that devastated most of Galveston Island at the turn of the century.

This book was amazing... not only does it give you so much history about the city of Chicago, but the story centers around the Chicago World's Fair in the late 1800s. Not only do you learn about the building of the fair, and the months during the life of the fair, but you read the story about a serial killer who uses the fair to his advantage.

Riveting, fascinating book, from beginning to end. There were days that I just had to put the book down and walk away from it for a little while. When the book sat closed on my dining room table, I would look at it and just shake my head--- how in the world could that have kept happening and no one started an investigation?

My only regret about this book--- I wish I had read it before we went to Chicago. Now that I have finished this book, I realize that we were right there on the fair grounds when we were in Chicago. And now that I know more about the old landmarks, I would have known where to look for them as we walked around that city.

Oh well. I will know what to look for when we go there again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home