Sprinkles

Thursday, May 08, 2008

The first heat wave......

.... and thankfully, the new air-conditioner is up and running just fine. So fine that I'm freezing. I guess the old unit wasn't as efficient as this newer one--- it feels colder in here than it did before, even though the thermostat is set at the same temperature. The temperature keeps changing, however, depending on which one of us is pressing the numbers... my husband likes 72 degrees, I prefer 76 degrees. And when I'm alone in the house, my number changes to 78.

Our young Miss C came by after school today, as she did yesterday and the day before. She comes here from time to time, some weeks more than others. She's always bubbling over with news about her friends and school, and the upcoming summer. She will be volunteering time at the local nature center...... that child loves animals, all of them, big and small, tame and wild.

While C was in our living room today, she noticed a new photograph on my bookshelves... the wedding picture of my friend's son. Right away, C said: This one is new! Who got married? I told her who the young man was-- she was familiar with his mother because she's seen her picture in our wedding album, and today I told her the story when her first little boy was born and how I held him in my arms when he was the tiniest little baby.

C studied the wedding picture and told me that she loved the bride's dress, and "look at her sparkly shoes!..... and then she looked even more closely at their faces and said They look like they belong together. I told C that I thought so too. She said they looked so happy in the picture-- really really happy. Sometimes I wonder what really goes on in this child's mind.

Child. She's not a child anymore. C drove up here in her own car after school....... and we watched her drive away when she left. It's strange, somehow, to be waving to C as she leaves our house. Used to be that she'd be in her house, waving to me as I drove away.

And the tiny little baby boy from years ago, another life-time ago, is now in a frame on my bookshelf with his bride.

What's that old saying? Time waits for no one. Indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home