Sprinkles

Friday, March 16, 2007

Boats R Us

No, I take that back.... boats are not us.... I'm not a boat person-- far from it. But my husband is, and we just got back from looking at (and buying) a boat. A catamaran, actually. (So I guess this should be "Boats R Him.") Nice looking catamaran with a beautiful sail, but nothing that I would get on, that's for sure, but my husband liked it.... the price was right, and the condition was excellent. Now he's got to get it from the seller's storage garage to here, then from here to the lake. Which should be an easy thing to do, once we get a trailer hitch installed on the back of his car. The price of the boat included the trailer, so it was even more of an excellent deal.

We were driving home and my husband was trying to remember the name of a movie with a particular boat in it. He was driving along saying Now what was the name of that movie? I said "Titanic?" (Not exactly what he was thinking, but funny just the same.)

Whether it's a small catamaran or a large sailing ship, you won't find me on it. Our little adventure last summer on the whale-watching boat in Maine only cemented the fact that I wasn't born to be on a boat. No way, no how, not in the ocean, not on a lake.


The weather here has cleared up to warm and sunny again..... the pouring rains (along with hail, for goodness sake) has found other places to fall. We drove through all that rain and hail on our way back from the lake on Wednesday. Awful weather... it was a sunny day when we left the lake, but once we got twenty miles away from the lake, the sky opened up with the rain and it poured all the way home. But that's just a memory now, and it has been summer-warm with blue skies again.

I spent most of today cleaning the house and getting ready for Sunday's St. Patty's Day lunch. All I have left to do is to get the dining room table set and decorated, and prepare some of the food. I plan to do that tomorrow, so all I will have to do on Sunday morning is get dressed in something green and pop the baking dishes into the oven.

Our neighbor V is having a crawfish boil tomorrow afternoon... a "real" Louisiana crawfish boil, with corn and potatoes boiled in the same pot as the crawfish. She called today to invite us to come over tomorrow. V reminded me that it's St. Patty's Day-- and that's what they do in Louisiana for St. Patty's Day-- have a down-home crawfish boil. I told her we'd love to come over, as long as I get everything done that I need to do for Sunday. Now, of course, what we can do tomorrow also depends on my husband being able to get the car in to have the trailer-hitch connection attached to the back of his car so he can tow the boat-trailer up to the lake. So we'll see if we have time for V's crawfish boil.

I told V that we were having a St. Patty's Day lunch here on Sunday... and she of course told me that St. Patty's Day was tomorrow, not Sunday. "How can you celebrate the 17th day of March on the 18th, for goodness sake?" The same way we have a Valentine's Day party on the weekend before Valentine's Day.... the same way we have a big Halloween party before the 31st of October.


We had dinner with young Miss C last night.... she is still using her birthday coupons that I gave her for last year's birthday. She had called twice during the day yesterday to ask if she could come over here, but we were busy with haircuts, errands, and grocery shopping. Her mom was able to drive her over here late yesterday afternoon on the way back from their own errands and we took her to the local Chinese buffet restaurant for dinner. C filled us in on everything she's been doing during her Spring Break weekend... Color Guard practice at the high school is taking up much of her time, and her uncle and aunt visited from up north while we were at the lake (so we didn't get to meet them).

C hasn't been up to the lake in a couple of months now, and she misses it terribly. With all of her Color Guard practices on the weekends, her time is limited for that. But summer is just around the corner, and she'll have more time then. Wait till my husband tells her about the boat... she'll have her lake-bag packed in a heartbeat, I'm sure. Instead of coming with me to the antique shops up there, she'll be out on that boat with my husband. With that in mind, we need to add life-vests to the "must-buy" list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home