Sprinkles

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Oscar Night

Went up to Mayberry for a couple of days...... a little colder up there than down here, but it was still a good trip. When we got there on Friday, we cleaned out the rain gutters. With all the trees on the property, it's not a surprise that the gutters were filled with leaves. One part of the gutter was also filled with a nest of fire ants, which my husband found with his hands before seeing it with his eyes. He has at least a dozen ant bites on his arms now... who would've thought that the ants would be up that high, for goodness sakes.

We drove into Lufkin on Saturday.... went to lunch at Red Lobster, of all places. Lufkin was filled with all the usual chain restaurants, so that one was our best choice. They had little mom-and-pop cafes, but they weren't open. Not open? On Saturday afternoon? There were two antique malls up there.... we walked through both of them but didn't buy much. Nothing really called out to me, except for a little key chain with four pretty green hearts on it. I bought that, and when I got home here, I attached three of the hearts to my Valentine charm bracelet, and one of the green hearts to my St. Patty's Day bracelet.

The lake was as smooth as glass when we got up there on Friday, but that all changed when the winds kicked up on Saturday... the waves were breaking against the bulkhead and we could see the whitecaps out on the lake. My husband set up the fishing poles, but didn't catch anything. The water was muddy-looking, instead of the usual blue-green.... most likely from all the wind.

We played Scrabble up there on Saturday night..... I won, with a score of over 400. The lake magic still exists... easy for me to win Scrabble up in Mayberry, for some reason.

The Oscars are on tonight... every year, I watch. I love to see the clothes and the jewelry. I'm hoping that the "new" girl from "DreamGirls" wins for Best Supporting Actress, and I'm hoping that Helen Mirren wins for "The Queen." This is the 79th year for the Oscars.... an older tradition than the SuperBowl. I don't know what one has to do with the other, but it sounded good when I typed it. I hate football.... I don't know what all the fuss is about and I never could understand that game--- Run a little. Catch the ball. Everyone falls on top of you. Get up. Run again. Drop the ball. Everyone falls on top of you. At least baseball makes sense.

So do the Oscars.... sing your heart out, act your soul out... get a nomination. Hear your name called, walk up the steps to the stage, thank everyone from your gardener to your sixth-grade-teacher, go home with a gold statue of a naked, anatomically incorrect man. Makes perfect sense to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home