Sprinkles

Monday, January 15, 2007

Frigid Cold Snap

I am so glad we decided to come back from Mayberry earlier than planned... the weather today has been horrid. Freezing cold, rainy, windy, and I swear that I heard sleet pounding against my sitting room windows this morning. And tomorrow is supposed to be even worse, if the winter storm continues to travel this far south.

South. South! We shouldn't even be getting this type of weather here. What are the weather gods thinking?!

I have a dental appointment tomorrow, for a cleaning. When the receptionist called a little while ago to confirm the time, she told me the appointment would be "weather permitting." If the storm rolls in with more sleet the way it's seeming to, the schools will be closed tomorrow, and the dentist will be closing her office as well. Which is fine with me, because if the weather gets that bad, I won't be out on the roads. (Unless, of course, Barry Manilow is coming to town, which he isn't.) My still-as-new little car has barely seen a handful of rainy days, and I'd like to keep it that way.

So cold outside.... and hard to keep warm inside.... and with the cloudy weather hanging in here, I can feel myself growing crankier by the hour. I'm keeping busy with laundry (heaven knows that job is never-ending), and I've posted a bunch of things on eBay, and I've been reading books that have been in my "to be read" pile for months and months. I've decided that I'm finished with all of the books by Richard Paul Evans. His first book, "The Christmas Box," was wonderful, but he's been on a downhill slide ever since, in my humble opinion. I know his books sell millions of copies, but I also know that easy-reading people don't mind cookie-cutter stories. I loathe cookie-cutter stories, so my apologies to Mr. Evans, but I am through with all of your books. But I will re-read The Christmas Box from time to time, because that was indeed a good one and my copy of it is still on my bookshelves.

The cats all seem to be recovering nicely from the car ride yesterday. The more we take them in the car, the better they do. Not one of them gets car-sick, but with the sad little meows that we've heard from time to time during the rides to and from the lake, I know that they're not 100% thrilled to be passengers in our lake adventures. Shortly before dawn this morning, little Mickey Kitty was meowing for all his tiny body was worth. By the sound of his meow, I knew he was in the living room. I didn't get out of bed when I heard him, but when I called his name, he came bouncing into our bedroom and jumped up on the bed. The way I see it, he probably woke up and didn't remember where he was. Am I home? Am I at the lake? Just where am I? He curled up next to my pillow and stayed there till we got out of bed this morning. I swear, nothing sounds as sad as a lonely meow in the dark. (Spoken like a true cat person.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home