Sprinkles

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Weekend Getaway

Just back from three days at Mayberry. We drove up with just Gracie, and left all the cats at home with the pet-sitter. The cats, I'm sure, were thrilled. And even though I did miss them, I know better this time-- the cats don't want the car ride, and they don't want to be in any screen-porch except this one.

We had rain here while we were gone, but just a little sprinkling of rain during one night up at the lake. The full moon was beautiful up there, and the sky is just filled with stars. The sunsets every evening were gorgeous, but they always are at the lake.

I spent some time each day at the antique shops in town up there.... found a vintage rattan chair at one of the shops, so that made a nice pairing with the rattan chair that I had already put into the game room at the cottage. At another shop, I found a white wicker trunk that's working out fine as a coffee table on the screen-porch, plus I can use it to store the chair cushions when we're not there. Two purchases that made the browsing worthwhile. Whether I buy anything or not, the browsing is always fun anyway.

Being that we didn't bring the cats up to the cottage with us, we had more room in the car for stuff that we needed to get up there. Gracie shared the back seat of the car with a wicker chair that's now in the living room of the cottage. And I managed to fit a round wooden library-table into the trunk of the car-- that was a yard sale find..... a two-tiered oak table that's divided into three sections, so books can stand up all around the bottom tier of the table. Looks great up at Mayberry-- very cottage-worthy.

Each time we go up there, it gets easier and easier. There's just a couple of things left in our garage to bring up there now, but I'm sure there will be more, as I continue to go to yard sales. I missed the yard sales here this weekend, but our pet-sitter told us that it poured here on Saturday anyway. There are yard sales up at the lake on Saturdays, and I've stopped by them when I've seen them.... trouble is, the neighborhoods up there are so far apart that I don't drive out of my way for yard sales while we're at the lake. There's enough stuff for sale at the antique and resale shops, and if I shop carefully, I can find things there at yard sale prices--- without having to get up before dawn.

The alligator is still in the lake, even though the game warden has been called to come and get it. Problem seems to be that the alligator is never there when the game warden comes by. Smart alligator. The neighbors are keeping a watch on it, and some of them swear they'll shoot it if they get a clear shot. We had a clear sighting of the alligator this weekend.... he was right under our boathouse.... one eye peeking up at me as he floated there. Very tranquil-looking, I must say. But I'm sure he's not so tranquil when he's hungry. I would guess his length to be six feet.... seems like his head was enormous, and his body wasn't exactly slim so I would say he's eating very well.

I'm still reading "Under The Tuscan Sun." I had planned to finish that book this weekend, but just didn't get in enough reading time. My husband and I played Scrabble every night.... I also worked on a book of crossword puzzles, and we spent some time cleaning the leaves out of the gutters of the cottage. There are more than two dozen trees on our property there... lots of shade, lots of birds.... but also lots of leaves. Thankfully, they don't all lose their leaves as the weather gets cooler.

I hung up a hummingbird feeder at the cottage, and within the hour, we had hummingbirds all over the yard, flying back and forth to the feeder. Amazing how that red sugar-water attracts them so quickly. There is also rosemary growing in the garden, as well as bay leaves. The tomato plants are finished producing now, as well as the peppers. We'll have to plant more next Spring.... garden tomatoes can spoil you very quickly.

So can Mayberry..... it spoils us. No television, no radio, no newspapers. Just us and the lake. And Gracie, of course. I swear, that dog just loves being there. All the way home, she had the saddest look on her face.... but she was all spread out on the back seat so I guess she was happy not to have to share the space with a wicker chair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home