Sprinkles

Monday, June 12, 2006

On The Road for Miss C

Our young Miss C called us at noon-time today with exciting news... she passed the written test for her driver's license and she now has her learner's permit. Her voice was so excited over the phone that I just knew that she was jumping up and down while she was talking to me.

She wanted her mom to come straight over here on their way back from the testing, but her mom insisted on going home first--- C got her mom up and out of bed so early this morning that L had driven to the Vehicle Safety Office without a shower, breakfast or even make-up.

We went out for dinner with both C and her mom last night to the local Chinese buffet restaurant, and C was all excited about taking that test this morning. My husband was asking her some questions about driving, and she seemed to be very confident. We knew that she would pass that test today... she missed just one question.

I assured C this morning that I would keep my promise of teaching her to drive, even though I now have a newer and more expensive car than the one I had when I offered to teach her. Because of that, I plan to take her in and around the subdivisions here, staying off of all the major roads. When it comes time for the larger, busier roads, then we'll use her mom's car or her dad's.

My husband and I are both so excited for her. When C told me the news this morning, my eyes filled up with tears because I was just so happy for her. I swear to heaven, I couldn't love that child any more if she were my own.


We had a phone message last night from one of our neighbors who is also a guest at all of our Charades and holiday parties. My husband called him back when we got in from dinner with C and L. Our neighbor B lives alone... his wife passed away more than half-a-dozen years ago. B had baked a cake yesterday and wanted to invite my husband and I over for cake and coffee last night. It was after 9:30 when we got home, so B and my husband thought it was too late for that.

When my husband told me the gist of the phone call, I called B back and asked him if he wanted to come over for dinner tonight, and we could all share his dessert after dinner. He thought that was a great idea, so that's what we're doing. I've already made a pot of spaghetti sauce and all I have to do is set the dining room table.

I told my husband that B is probably looking for company, and since we've been out to dinner with him before, and he's been to our home so many times, he just felt comfortable baking a cake and calling to invite us over. B loves to bake anyway, and he makes a chocolate cake as delicious as the ones my Aunt Dolly always made for my birthday. Of course, I'm hoping that the cake he made yesterday is chocolate, but whatever he baked will be delicious, I'm sure. And the important thing is to get together with him, if it's company that he needs.

When I first met our neighbor B, I immediately thought he'd make a nice "match" for our friend Frankie, being that they were about the same age, and they both had a nice sense of humor. As soon as I could, we got a party together here and B and Frankie had a good long time to sit and chat. They liked one another right off, but Frankie concluded that B wasn't "boyfriend or husband material" because she believed that he was still much in love with his deceased wife. To quote dear Miss Frankie: "Child, I've got enough to worry about in a day's time without having to compete with a ghost."

Frankie enjoyed B's company at our parties, but always made sure not to spend any more time with him than she did with our other guests. And she was right, of course.... we've since determined that B keeps the memory of his deceased wife very much alive and isn't looking for a replacement.

Miss Frankie..... we miss her still.


As for The Blue Swan, I have a feeling that the sellers are going to be disappointed that they didn't take my husband's first offer on that house. Being that they countered our offer with a price not much lower than their asking price, my husband has been making phone calls to the county since early this morning. He has found out the taxes on that property, and the water levels in that part of the lake. He will use that information to either stick by his original offer, or make a second offer that is much lower than the first offer.

I'm just trying to let all of this go over my head without drowning me. I do love that house, but I've loved other houses as well. And there were so many houses up there that were on our "we could buy this" list that if this one doesn't work out, then we'll just go up there again, or make an offer on the second or third houses on that list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home