Sprinkles

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Running Errands...

Lots of errands today.... lots of stops.... and a lot of little things got done.

I had to go back to Barnes & Noble, after we were just there yesterday. I had bought a book from their "last-chance" sale table and discovered that I had already read that book. It was one of my favorite authors, and I usually keep her books, but this one wasn't a keeper (according to the journal I keep on books I've read). I could've saved it for the give-away pile of party books, but I figured if I didn't like the book well enough to keep it, then I don't want to push it on to someone else.

So I returned the book, and found a box of vintage Victorian-designed Halloween cards. Beautiful blank cards, perfect for either Halloween invitations or greeting cards. 24 cards for just $6.95, which is less money than two packages of Hallmark invitations. At the rate I'm going now, I have enough invitations for the next three Halloweens (not counting this one, since those invitations are already out).

Then I went to League City, to deliver invitations to our friends J and L at the antique shop, and to just chat and see how they fared during the storm. J made the mistake of driving east, so he ended up in a friend's house (one bedroom/one bathroom home) with 14 other people. Because Rita veered off to the east, the little town he was in had 75 mph winds.... J said it sounded like a freight train crossing Highway 3. As for L.... she and her granddaughter drove to San Antonio. They shopped, they strolled along the Riverwalk, they took in the sights and the markets and had a grand time. I told L that the next time a storm threatens us, I'm going to San Antonio with her! Along with my husband, the dog, and all the cats, of course! (And no offense to our new friends in Magnolia who hosted us during Rita--- they're moving to Colorado because of a job transfer, so they won't be available for the next hurricane.)

Another stop was to a little League City shop called Nana's Attic. I buy freshly-ground coffee there for my husband, and that's where I buy all the flavored tea-- they have delicious English varieties. I also found pretty little sugar cubes there, each one decorated with a tiny sugared flower. I had just a few of those for one of the tea parties for C and L, and the two girls just loved those fancy sugars. I intend to save these special sugar cubes for the girls.

Lots of goodies to look at in Nana's Attic, and I always find something that I can buy for someone's birthday or holiday gift. While looking around the store, I thought of a great idea for the placecards for Christmas dinner, so I took some time making choices for each one of those little table-gifts.

Also stopped in at the Half-Price bookstore, to see what was new in there. I found a few books for Christmas party favors........ I usually buy Christmas books and just wrap them in red ribbon and keep them in a basket in the foyer. Between Half-Price books, and the bookshop in the local library, I've found quite a few this year.... plenty to give away during the month of December when friends and neighbors come over for the Open House, or to see the tree.

It's after midnight now....... we're up late to see the outcome of the baseball game between the Yankees and the Angels. Always a close game with the Yankees, especially at the end of the season. Between the Astros and the Yankees, we've been watching the games. Actually, my husband watches the game, and I listen to him talk to the television while I'm in here typing and that's how I know if they're winning losing, or doing totally stupid errors.

I think the Yankees just made an error. I just heard my husband say "You've GOT to be kidding me!". (If the Angels had done something stupid, my husband wouldn't care.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home