Sprinkles

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Eve afternoon.

A Christmas miracle: as I type, I am sitting at the little table in our breakfast room and my laptop isn't plugged into the wall. Who knew? Actually, I've known all along that this laptop had such capability, but I've never taken advantage of it, preferring to use this blessed machine at the desk in my sitting room.

But after being sick with a head cold for so many days, and being attached to this laptop for hours upon hours just because it was something to look at without it being a book that I couldn't concentrate on, I've become more brave with what this sometimes-infernal machine has to offer.

Such as Pinterest. (I repeat: Who knew?)  Well, my friend J knew about Pinterest a good long while ago, and I did browse through her Pinterest boards from time to time.... but finally, I "get it."  And once I got it, I found it very hard to step away from the computer and its zillions of Pinterest pins out there for the taking.

So that's what I've been doing in my recuperative hours when my mind was too muddled with cold germs to concentrate on my books. (I am so off schedule with my reading.)  I set up a Pinterest page for myself, and have been looking around at the seemingly countless (To infinity and beyond!) "pins" that are out there to be added to my "boards." (All these old words with new meanings!)

I have spent so much time in my sitting room this past week that my cat Sweet Pea has begun to cuddle up in my arms and not want to let me out of his sight. Hence, me and my laptop are at the breakfast room table and not up in my sitting room on the second floor. And where is Sweet Pea? All warm and cozy in his little pillow-bed by the heater, not even caring that I am right here with him, laptop and all. Cats: Sometimes you just can't please them.

But...... Christmas Eve is right here. My husband and I spent most of the last couple of days cooking.  My husband made his famous "Greek" stuffing with gyro meat, feta cheese and pistachios,  He also made two casserole dishes of his mashed potatoes (stuffing and potatoes ready to go into the oven for tomorrow's dinner).  I've made a pumpkin pie, fresh whipped cream, and my own famous salmon and crab cakes. I seem to make those for just about every Christmas, but they are delicious, and can be made ahead of time, and then just popped into the oven on Christmas Day. (I am all turkey-ed out from Thanksgiving, so cooking another bird was not an option.)

Before this evening is over, we'll have our Christmas Eve dinner.... we will open gifts tonight because tomorrow will be too busy with company... and before the stroke of midnight my eyes will puddle up with tears as I think of family members and friends who have "gone to the other side" (translation: passed away) and also friends and family members who have "taken sides" (translation: decided to stay away).

And so be it. "No matter what happens in this world, life goes on in a sensible way." The words of a remarkable woman named Audrey, whom I was lucky enough to have as my mother-in-law.

Merry Christmas to you all, no matter what side you're on or which side you've taken.  I'm thinking about you as I always do, and wishing for you a very happy Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home