Sprinkles

Saturday, August 04, 2012

"84, Charing Cross Road"

My cousin F just recently celebrated her birthday, and one of the gifts I sent her was a vintage copy of Helene Hanff's "84, Charing Cross Road," along with its sequel "The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street."  I was lucky enough to find both books in an old bookstore.  If there is one thing I love more than old books, it's old bookshops filled with wooden shelves and cozy little alcoves.

After cousin F opened her gifts the other day, I took out my own copies of "84" and "Bloomsbury Street" and started reading them, for the umpteenth time.  I love both of those books, especially "84."  That entire book consists of letters mailed from Helene Hanff in NYC to a book seller in an old bookshop in London. They exchange books, dollars and pounds, and subsequently Miss Hanff sends the bookstore staff packages of food that they cannot get in London because of the rationing during WWII.  What started out as "Would you have a copy of......" ended in a friendship that lasted for years.  Truly a beautifully done little book.

I finished reading "84" in a day's time.... I think I know some of those letters by heart now.  I started "Bloomsbury Street" yesterday, the bittersweet (mostly sweet) account of Miss Hanff's trip to England.... years in the making, planning, saving, hoping, praying...... and when she does arrive in London, it's everything that she expected it to be. (When one travels to London, one finds exactly what one is looking for.)

I have all of Miss Hanff's books, but "84" is her classic volume, in my opinion.  A movie was made of "84," starring Anne Bancroft as Miss Hanff.  I have watched the video from time to time, but honestly, I'd rather sit down with the book.  I checked the book web-sites for a biography of Miss Hanff, and was happy to find one.   I was tempted to quickly click on that 'Buy!' key, but I thought to check the Amazon site and look at the reviews.  Without fail, every review of the book was ghastly. (There's a British adjective for you.)  Every review rejected the book and insulted its author.  Shame on that man for not doing justice to Miss Hanff..... and it does make me wonder why someone else hasn't made it their literary business to put together a decent and "84"-worthy biography of Helene Hanff.

As much as I enjoy re-reading these two books, I can't wait for my cousin F to finish both of them so we can discuss Miss Hanff, the books, and London.   I know she will love "84" and I also know that as she reads "Bloomsbury Street," she will get a first-hand account of a literary New Yorker's view of London..... and it will transport her there, courtesy of the memories of Miss Hanff.

Books.  How can anything in this technological world ever replace books.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home