Sprinkles

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Gypsy Prom

There I was in the thrift shop today..... looking at all the shelves to find things to bring to my space at the antique shop (the shelves in my space continue to have empty spots each time I go in there, so I know things are selling...... customers are finding just that one little thing to add to their collections).

But... back to the thrift shop...... while I was looking at the old cookbooks, the ladies at the register were talking about "The Gypsy Prom" which is coming up soon. Over the weekend, they were inundated with women looking for rhinestone-studded dresses, vintage sparkling gowns, long scarves, flashy jewelry-- all to make them look like a proper gypsy.

I'd never heard of The Gypsy Prom so of course I had to ask...... it was the idea of a woman in one of the small towns around here...... they either have a live band or an endless stack of country music CDs, and everyone who comes has to be dressed up as if they're going out on the town, or to a prom. And where do mostly all over-the-top prom dresses end up? At the thrift shops..... so that's where every gypsy-wannabe was shopping this past weekend.

While I was in the thrift shop today, a woman bought a mint green tulle dress with rhinestone flowers all over the bodice and back..... the tulle dress looked like a enormous Mint Julep had exploded all over it..... the woman was thrilled because the dress fit her, and she couldn't wait to get home and try on the dress with her western boots. (I guess Texas gypsies wear cowgirl boots under their gowns?)

So during the drive back home from town, I kept thinking about this Gypsy Prom idea...... and what a great idea for a party. We could do an annual Gypsy Prom right here.... everyone would have to dress in some outlandish over-the-top rhinestone-studded dress or gown...... or any such outfit that would make a woman look and feel like a gypsy. And of course, we would need to have a crown for the best-dressed-- the Queen of the Gypsies. My mind is not going to let this go. I'll have to figure out the best time of the year to have such a party. I wouldn't want to interfere with Halloween, and that sort of party would be totally out of place during Christmas time..... I'm wondering if a Gypsy Prom Valentine's Party would be good...... or maybe keep Valentine's Day just as it is, and do the Gypsy Prom in the Spring.... the possibilities are endless. Wait till my husband hears this idea... he'll know for sure that I've lost my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home