Sprinkles

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Stray cats and parakeets.

Three cats down the hill....... the striped one that I had been feeding a few weeks ago, plus an all black, plus a black/white cat. We thought they were strays. Turns out they belong to one of the neighbors who made arrangements for someone else to feed them-- which wasn't happening on a regular basis. Why on earth do people take in pets if they're not going to be responsible for them? I just don't understand. And if you have to go out of town, then make sure that the people who are supposed to take care of your pets will take care of your pets. Is that too blessed much to ask?

So... until the cats' owner gets back, I will continue to bring food and water down there..... the cats are coming to me as soon as they see me now.... (food and fresh water will do that to a cat, especially when it's 112 degrees).

And the parakeet-- I was out near the coop after dinner, trying to get the chickens into the coop earlier than usual because we were going up to J & J's to play cards....... and there was this bright yellow and green parakeet sitting at the bird feeder, munching away on the seeds I put in there for the sparrows and barn swallows. The parakeet looked at me and started chirping, then followed me around that part of the yard and watched as I got the chickens to follow me into the coop. The parakeet seemed to be as interested in me as I was in him.

I was hoping that the parakeet would follow me into the coop as well..... safer there for him during the night..... but he stayed perched up in the rose arbor, so I just let him be. I'll see if he's out there in the morning, and maybe I can get him to come close to me. He's just too pretty a bird to be outside on his own...... and I know I told my husband that I didn't want another dog or another cat, but I don't remember telling him that I didn't want a parakeet.

Wildlife adventures... they just never end around here...... my husband shot an armadillo the other night..... he's getting tired of those creatures making holes all over the yard, and digging in the vegetable garden. Our friend J feels the same way-- too many armadillo holes, too many of everything that digs and crawls and comes out on the property after dark. The heat and lack of rain is making every creature and critter come too close to the houses.

The temperatures are still way over 100..... the heat is never-ending and the rain is never seen. Everyone is getting their hopes up when a hurricane is spotted in the Atlantic..... be careful what you wish for.

We went to the movies this afternoon to see "The Help." I had read the book a while back...... excellent...... and the movie did justice to the book.... very very good, definitely worth the money and the time to see it. I found out about that book in an issue of Oprah's magazine..... Nate Berkus recommended the book in an article about books he had recently read. When we were reading the credits after the movie was over, I saw that Nate was the producer of this movie. Best movie I've seen in a good long while.

Our young Miss C has gone back to her little house near the college that she and her roommates are renting...... she was sad and a little quiet yesterday morning because she knew she would have to leave after lunch. The house is once again really still and quiet without her...... not that she made so much noise... it was just nice having her here. Next visit won't be until holiday time, when the college schedule breaks for Christmas.

It's nearly time for Labor Day. Once that comes and goes, Christmas follows in a heart-beat. Jingle bells.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home