Sprinkles

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Nine Eleven.

Yes, I know that today is the 9th "anniversary" of 9/11. I hesitate to use that anniversary word because it conjures up a happy event.

I turned on CNN this morning, and listened to the reading of the names of the victims of that day. The eleventh of September. This day has become like December 7th..... etched into everyone's mind permanently.

I listened to some of the names...... I heard the sound of the large silver bell as it chimed.... there were family members in the crowd holding pictures of their dead and forever-missing.

On that day, nine years ago, I was on my way to the antique shop where I worked..... I almost never listen to the radio as I drive because I have Barry Manilow CDs in my car. That day, for whatever reason, I turned on the radio. As soon as I heard what had happened in NY, I turned my car around and headed home...... I was right near the Johnson Space Center when I made the U-turn.

My husband and I watched the TV news all day, in total disbelief. Nine years later, I still can hardly believe it happened, but of course it did. Here. How did that happen here?

Nine years later, they want to build a mosque near the site of the World Trade Center. I have heard the mayor of NY say they have a right to build their mosque wherever they want to, and of course they do. This country was built on its people having such rights. However.... in all of the cities in all of these fifty states, and in all of the countries and on all of the continents in this world, why on this blessed earth do they want to build a mosque there?

I didn't watch very much of the 9/11 coverage today. It took less than ten minutes of watching CNN early this morning before I was reaching for the box of tissues. I shut off the TV. My cousins in NY were (and probably still are) watching every minute of the coverage. If I were still living in NY, maybe I would be also.

As we were out driving today, from here to Caldwell, to College Station and back, every flag we saw was at half-staff. No matter where you live, you just cannot forget. You don't have to watch the coverage, the ceremonies, the name-reading, the bells, the moments of silence. For the rest of our days, as this particular day of September comes around each year, it will always be known as 9/11.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home