Sprinkles

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Cosmic weather joke.

Surely, there must have been a slip of the planets as they floated around in the galaxy last night. The temperature this morning was 31 degrees. When I went out into the coop, the chickens' drinking water had frozen solid.

This afternoon, the temperature has climbed up to 49 degrees and tomorrow, the afternoon temperature will be 55 degrees (a veritable heat wave). However, on Thursday, a frozen blast is coming down from Canada and the wake-up temperature on Friday morning will be 19 degrees. As I said... this surely must be a cosmic joke brought on by the bad weather gods, to make sure we're paying attention. How could we not?

I turned on the weather channel, just to make sure the weather gods weren't wreaking havoc on Texas only..... and the first thing I heard was that it was minus 1 degree in SanFrancisco. Well, if they can't keep it warm in that part of California, then we don't stand a chance either.

We've become good friends with the guy who delivers the propane. He was here early this morning, pulling into the driveway as I was coming out of the coop. I told him he's a magician..... he pumps propane into that tank and (like magic!) dollar bills fly out of our checking account. I told my husband that the high electric bills of this past summer are pale in comparison to the propane bills we've had since the cold weather began.

Normal temperatures for us at this time of the year are between 62 and 75 degrees. And to think that 62 degrees always seemed so cold to us before! I would sell the two Guinea hens in a heartbeat if someone could guarantee 62 degrees! I would sell those two hens if someone could promise me an increase in just one degree, actually.

The Guinea hens..... the longer we have them, the more I just don't want them. I told my husband that when we go back to buy more chickens, I'm going to call Watson and ask him if he'd take the two Guinea hens back..... add them to his flock..... sell them to someone else...... anything-- just please take them back. The older they get, the louder they get. Plus, with just one chicken (Audrey) we can see how the Guinea hens run in and steal food from her..... she has to peck around them to eat, practically push them out of her way. Very aggressive, those Guinea hens. To make matters worse, one of the Guinea hens pecked a little hole into the screen on the back door. Just what we need-- a special entrance for scorpions and/or wasps.

One of our neighbors had Guinea hens at one point...... then she realized what a royal pain they were and she asked her husband to "do something (anything!) with them." He agreed, but he told her she couldn't ask questions later. We don't exactly know what he did with them, because B kept her word and didn't ask.

Maybe that's the solution--- I need to call B's husband and tell him to do something (anything!) with those two Guinea hens, and then I'll promise not to ask any questions later on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home