Sprinkles

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Gran Torino

We went to the movies the other day to see Clint Eastwood's latest film, "Gran Torino." Considering that Clint is now 78 years old, you would think that he wouldn't be in the least believable as a tough guy. But he played a tough old guy in the movie, and you couldn't help but believe him.

I didn't know how that movie would end, and I wasn't expecting what did eventually happen, but now, looking back on the story, there was no other way for this movie to come to its last frame. I didn't realize I'd need a couple of tissues at the end of it, as I was getting them out of my purse, the guy next to us said Aw, you don't have to cry... it's only a movie. Well, I know it's only a movie, but sad is still sad, and I needed a tissue.

The next movie we have to see is "Slum Dog Millionaire," which our corner-neighbor S recommended-- she said it was a feel-good movie, not a car-wreck/chain-saw/special-effects film (which is what she normally goes to see). It's amazing to me that two of our oldest friends, both ladies "of a certain age" who look as delicate as can be, both love violent movies that make me cringe.


The weather has been crazy these last couple of days... so cold that I stayed in the house except to walk Gracie around the block in the afternoon. Today is more like Spring, with sunny skies and milder temperatures--- still not warm, but at least I don't have to bundle up in four layers and put up the hood on my knee-length coat. I hate all these layers of clothing. And certainly, the temperatures here aren't as frigid as they are in other parts of the country, but for here, anything under 55 degrees is just plain, flat-out cold.

We went out for lunch today, to the local Thai restaurant. We've been going there on a regular basis since Hurricane Ike marched through here and flooded out the little Greek restaurant in Kemah that we went to every week. They are still not open yet, but word has it that they'll be back in business before the month is over. The flood waters were five feet deep in the Greek's, and this wasn't the first time that they had to recover, re-do, and re-decorate their restaurant.

We miss that little restaurant, even though there's another Greek restaurant even closer to us. The food there isn't as good as the Greek's in Kemah-- he tends to over-salt everything, plus his spinach pie goes from his freezer to his microwave to your plate-- which makes for a pale white spinach pie instead of a crispy brown one. Not very appetizing, to say the least. In the Kemah restaurant, the owner's wife does all the cooking-- homemade, handmade Greek food, like your mother and grandmother would make, if they were Greek.

Our loyalty stays with the Greek restaurant in Kemah, and we'll be happy when their doors are open for business again. We've been going to the Thai restaurant so much these past few months that as soon as we walk in the door, the waitress goes into the kitchen and places our order, which never changes. By the time we're settled at our table, she's bringing out the soup, then the spring-rolls and salads.... then the chicken fried rice for my husband and the Shrimp Pad Thai for me. Sometimes I wonder if being that predictable is a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home